King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationThe Space Galleon S.S. Nemesis
  • Team:Villains Inc.
  • World:US2
  • Character:I may be a villain, but at least I'm honest.

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

I've read a few complaints here about things that aren't really that bad. But there is one thing that irks me. People who ask for me to buy them donuts, Slimer sidekicks or suits.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have bought such things for other players in the past. But generally, these cases have been for long time teammates or friends with whom I have developed a strong relationship with. 

Still, I get folks all the time who think because I've helped them in some way, and even plenty whom I haven't, ask me to buy them stuff.........

Hey, I just met you,

And this is crazy,

But buy some coupons,

For me, maybe?

93d8e6bb7832fcd87b41b64487d45c75.jpg

I don't mind helping new or even experienced players out, but this is the quickest way for me to become turned off by a player. I get these requests frequently. It's the single most annoying thing I experience in the game.

Frankly, why would I do this? Why would I use my hard earned money to help someone I don't know play a game? When I choose to help strangers financially, it's going to be with truly charitable causes, like helping to purchase uniforms for under-privileged youth sports teams or my favorite charity, Saint Jude's Children's Hospital. It's definitely not going to be for playing a game. 

When I first started playing this game, I joined a team and donated tons of donuts to help build it out. When my leader saw me donate donuts, he pestered me every day for more. Nothing I gave was ever enough. What was worse, he spent tons of donuts changing the team name twice a week rather than building the team out. As he continued to pester me non-stop for donuts, I became quite worried about whether or not my investment was safe. This guy didn't seem to sensible and was quite greedy and not in the least appreciative. 

So I came up with a plan to salvage my investment from any bad decisions, like constantly changing the team name at a cost of 100 donuts at a time, as well as provide myself insurance that once the team was built out, I wouldn't get kicked to the curb. I was a new player after all and not as strong as many of the other players on my team. 

When next my team leader pestered me for donuts, I explained my concerns and told him that his constant badgering had begun to make me nervous. However I did want to continue to help my team out. So I proposed he give me the steering wheel to the team and make me team leader. I would still give him full control in actually leading the team and I would just hold a puppet position as leader. In exchange, I would continue to pump donuts into the team. Now up until this point, all expansions on the team requiring donuts were done with donuts provided by me. The leader had also made donations, but all his donations went towards changing the team name, since the only time he donated was right before he would change the name. Personally, I had already spent around $500 on the team in a matter of 2 weeks. As a show of good faith, I was also willing to buy him a suit at a cost of $26 to myself. The other option was that he'd just have to be satisfied with the donuts I had already donated and not continue to pester me to continue donating at the same rate I had when I first started. I would still donate, but at a rate I was comfortable with instead of the lightning fast speed he kept demanding of me.

He agreed to the first option and handed the steering wheel over to me and I bought him a suit and donated enough to expand the team again several more levels. Then, I went to bed. When I awoke the next day, half the team was gone as well as the team leader. They had started a new team. When I wrote to him asking what was up, he replied he would return with the other members if I returned control of the team to him. I told him to take a hike. Later he asked to return to the team and I reluctantly allowed it, hoping he had come to his senses. But the rest of the team didn't return with him. 

I went to sleep expecting by the next day, perhaps they would. Instead, I awoke to him having left the team again and taking half the team that was left with him as well.  Again he tried to renigg on his end of the bargain and demanded I return the team to his control. Again, I told him to take a hike. This time, for the last time. 

After that, I noticed several teammates were taking dives during fights with other teams. So I bought them all donut coupons as severance and dropped them from the team with an explanation for my actions and that if they accepted the coupons, they were agreeing to the terms of severance. Of course they turned those coupons in and then demanded to be allowed back on the team........ the same team they were taking dives in team fights on. Of course I said no and instead started rebuilding the team with friends who were either already playing or whom I pulled into the game by contacting them on Facebook.

Later I discovered my worries over the former leader of my team had merit because one of the players that left with him bought donuts to help expand their new team, just to get booted to the curb later. I believe that player's name was Bunny.

Most all went well from that point forward and my friends and I built quite a successful team. We built a loyal and competitive team and most of our players were pay players, but not all. Even some of our pay players were still running on a budget however and one of our players had a suit that was becoming outdated. I noticed after she had mentioned it several times in team chat. Another of our players asked me if he could help the team by buying some of them suits. He actually bought several suits for players throughout our time playing together. I suggested that he might buy one for the player who's suit had been outdated for awhile and he did so. 2 days later that player left for a stronger team. Now our teammate who had been buying suits for other teammates no longer does so. I can't blame him and fully understand. I have mad respect for him anyway and am much appreciative for all he's done for us. Should I ever leave the game, the team will go to him to do with as he thinks best.

So please understand, that just because a player might be generous, there is plenty of reason for them to not just go buying stuff for others, especially those they hardly know, when even those they do know may very well take advantage of it. They tend to spend money in the game to help themselves or their team be successful. Why would they spend money to help their competitors or potential competitors? We've been burned in the past due to our generous nature. (Don't let the name fool you. We're not really villains. We just play them on TV. But then, my monitor is actually a TV.) 

Don't go asking others to buy you stuff in the game. It's bad form. If they can afford it, feel you deserve it, and have that kind of friendship with you, it might happen anyway. But asking for it is the quickest way to turn that player off from helping you in the future. Like I said before, we've been burned more than once through our generosity. 

Instead, just play the game as best you can, show your loyalty to your friends and teammates, and who knows, maybe you'll be the recipient of someone's good will. Probably not, but maybe. I can assure you, you probably won't by pestering someone over it. If anything, you'll only arouse their suspicions.

Edited by King of Thieves, 10 May 2015 - 01:41 PM.

• PostmodernPugilist and AngelicaSynn like this

I'm bringing sexy back!

#2 LittleOne

LittleOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • World:US3
  • Character:Priscilla

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

I do have an opinion on this. 

1--Stop buying people stuff.

2--Remember that there are children playing the game as well as adults.  So proceed appropriately depending on the age you are dealing with.  I believe the leader you were referring to was 13 years old.  Yeah can't expect him to act like he's 30 yrs old.

3--If a kid whines for you to buy them something---tell them to go ask Mom to buy it.  If a adult whines for you to buy them something---well tell them the same thing.

4--Treat others how you would want to be treated.  Manipulations ---well I sure don't like being manipulated either.

5--Learn to say NO.  If someone is wasting my donuts on a team and they ask me for more....I would just "No".

#3 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:30 AM

1) It's my right to buy people stuff if I want to. It's my right to say no as well. In the cases where I did buy people stuff, they were teammates I believed were loyal to the team, and that is my right. I still buy people stuff when I want and still say no when I want. Of course, the people I buy stuff for these days don't ever ask.

2) You assume I did something other than that. I think I made it plain, I said no because it made me uncomfortable. I also stated I would continue to build the team out at the rate I had been under conditions that made me feel comfortable. It doesn't matter what age a player is. Their age doesn't excuse trying to scam another player. That they failed to do so isn't my responsibility, though you'd like to make it appear so. As I stated, this same player confirmed my own fears when they did just what I feared to the player known as Bunny after they had tried to scam me and failed. Funny how you like to excuse your's and your teammate's actions, but not others. BTW, I didn't mention any names, but you knew exactly who I was talking about and you came running to his defense, which says plenty about you in light of the information I provided, despite it being obvious he was the manipulator here and just failed to be successful at it.

3) Um......... I think that's the point of the original post. And for you to think I do anything other than that towards anyone other than friends, you're sadly mistaken.

4)  Yet you want to excuse the attempted manipulations of your teammate based on his age........ SMH..... Double standards much?

5) See 1).

**** Funny how you take every opportunity to try and make me look bad while defending the foul actions of your own teammate. I think it's pretty obvious who was trying to manipulate whom in the above scenario describing your teammate. If I was trying to manipulate anyone, I wouldn't have bought him a suit AFTER he handed over the team, nor would I have let him back on the team so he could take half of what was left of the team. Nice try though. It shows just how badly you foster double standards. Again, age and youth is no excuse for trying to manipulate another, even if they are your teammate. ;) 

I'm bringing sexy back!

#4 AngelicaSynn

AngelicaSynn

"Femme Fatale"-in training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Team:Heroes Anonymous
  • World:US4
  • Character:QuTiPy

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

Priscilla, KoT... I, as a moderator, have watched you two snipe at each other across threads for the past few days... I have let it stand because both of you have remained within the ToS, but I'm saying here and now, plainly, that if the two of you have issues with each other, either stay away from each other's threads, take your differences to PMs, or prepare for the consequences.

I personally have no knowledge of the incidents which appear to started this, but I am ending it NOW...

If there are issues which should be investigated, for which evidence which can be substantiated exists, you should by all means alert Support, so that appropriate action might be taken...

You are both welcome to remain active on any thread either of you wish, as long as the sniping stops...

• Jagan, PostmodernPugilist and King of Thieves like this

My new character....
 IROLnBu.png

#5 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

I'm good with that. I only meet like with like. I'm just forward about it. I'll be sure to just report snipes from now on though, instead of responding to them. And my original post here wasn't even directed at her, nor did I mention names or team affiliations until I was "sniped". I merely spoke of a situation that happened to me personally to illustrate why people shouldn't ask others for coupons. In fact, one of the two scenarios presented didn't even have to do with one of her teammates. And frankly, the only issue I have with her is her "sniping", which all started when another of her teammates and I started getting silly with each other in good old fashioned roleplaying fun. 

I'm bringing sexy back!

#6 LittleOne

LittleOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

I didn't think I was sniping at all.  I thought I gave some good opinions as what to do when someone asks you to buy them things.  We had the same person in question do it on our team.  This is exactly how we handled that situation as well as any others who would "whine" for us to buy things for them.  As far as Fuma sniping---well I can't do anything about that.  But he doesn't bother me one bit.

I already dealt with fuma's sniping in PM.  Like we were suppose to do.....just sayin......

#7 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

:huh:???? I'm pretty sure it was the other way around, but sure, go ahead and give your version of things as you want others to view it.

"4--Treat others how you would want to be treated.  Manipulations ---well I sure don't like being manipulated either." has nothing to do with the original post. It was a snipe by you. You make plenty of insinuations throughout your posts. You have yourself stated in other places that your teammate, whose actions you came to defend despite his name never being mentioned, was manipulated by me when in truth it was he who attempted the manipulation. Otherwise, why even point out that you knew whom I was speaking of?

By the mod's own admission, your sniping is obvious to everyone, even if you refuse to admit it. I do and have fully admitted my part in it, why and when it started. It's about time you did as well, if you truly wanted it to end. If you'd like, I can point out plenty of your other snipes as well. They are often followed by my own remarks in regards to them.

I'm bringing sexy back!

#8 LittleOne

LittleOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

Fuma---personal stuff should be dealt with in PM.  I am not attacking you.  I am giving an honest opinion about what was stated in the thread.  As a matter of fact.  On the teams I have been on, the moment a person openly asks for a team member to buy them something, they get a warning.  If it happens again they get kicked.  That is just how my teammates have always dealt with that kind of thing. 

#9 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Was that teammate your leader? And was it after you had already made tons of donations? I already know you've told others he felt bullied by me. But here's the thing. As both a higher level player than me and my team leader, and based on his actions after handing over the team steering wheel, who was trying to bully whom? No, Priscilla. The truth is you look for every opportunity to take pop shots, then try to act innocent over it and victimized when the same treatment is returned in kind, much like you did in our first dealings with each other that put that chip on your shoulder in the first place.

I let bygones be bygones long ago, when I gave you advice on how to strengthen your toon. Again, would you like me to point out your sniping that you can't see yourself?

I'm bringing sexy back!

#10 PostmodernPugilist

PostmodernPugilist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • World:US1

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

You've both been warned and nevertheless have continued to snipe at each other. 

I can't see that this thread can go in any direction other than downhill. I am going to close this thread now. Let it drop or take it to PM both of you.

Pinken Stein: The Postmodern Pugilist, Ex-Moderator

Proud leader of Turbulence (till I can find some other mug to take the job off my hands)

Ask Aunty Pink: Hero Zero's PREMIER Agony Advice Column. http://forum.us.hero...pink/#entry3602

In Memoriam: Russ Smith, Gone but never forgotten 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users