Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • World:US3
  • Character:Priscilla

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:19 AM

Ok Folks!

Some of you should know me by now.  I don't mind tackling the tough topics.  So let's get your opinions on poaching.  For those of you who are new to the term, poaching is when you steal a team member from another team.  This means that you approach them first.  When a person who is on another team approaches you for a spot first, this is not considered poaching.

So here are the questions:

1= Do you approve or disapprove of the practice and why?

2= Do you poach to gain team members? 

My answers:  1--I disapprove of the practice.  I consider it bad sportsmanship.  Having to steal to gain members is walking in the gutter basically.  They will join you if your team is advancing and is a loyal and fun place to play.

2- Nah---I don't use that approach to the game.

#2 Jagan

Jagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of imagination
  • Team:Dark Mayhem
  • World:US2
  • Character:Jagan

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

Head hunting. It's done in business all the time. 

• leapinglizard, BruceARee and King of Thieves like this
“What would your good be doing if there were no evil, and what would the earth look like if shadows disappeared from it? After all, shadows are cast by objects and people. There is the shadow of my sword. But there are also shadows of trees and living creatures. Would you like to denude the earth of all the trees and all the living beings in order to satisfy your fantasy of rejoicing in the naked light?”

― Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita

#3 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationThe Space Galleon S.S. Nemesis
  • Team:Villains Inc.
  • Character:I may be a villain, but at least I'm honest.

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

We started doing it after it was done to us time and time again, though we no longer have a need to do so. We were still a fairly new team at that time and back then it was commonplace for teammates to leave for stronger teams. However, our loyal players stayed with us and we eventually grew to strength because of this as well as making strategic mergers with other small teams with a few good players. Nowadays, due to the long time growth with us, as well as a fun atmosphere and strong competitive spirit, we rarely lose players to other teams. We still have a team or two try to poach off us, but our team is pretty loyal at this point and the opportunists have all already gone to other teams. This works out well for us, because we know those who have remained all this time will continue to work towards team goals and are team players with loyalty that extends beyond themselves. That creates for a unified team that truly pulls for each other and has unified goals both teamwise and individually. So I say let those who would leave go. A strong team is made up of team players, not those who would would trade their brothers and sisters for num nums.

I'm bringing sexy back!

#4 SuperSamSam

SuperSamSam

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWherever the wind brings me.
  • Character:SuperSamSam[deleted]

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:06 AM

As far as it goes for me, if it’s not against the rules, let it go. 

It always hurt a little when a teammate leaves for another team, especially when you got to know each other. It’s treason, but there is not much to do about that. 

And again, maybe one just didn’t feel appreciated for what their real value is . ( You relate ? ) 

The team doing the poaching is not the one that should be pointed fingers at. 

An offer has been done, it's up to the player to decide if it's worth it. 

If one leaves their team for another, it’s because they already gave thought into it.

( Or they are just REALLY reckless, and no one has time for that) 

So no I don’t disapprove, but recruitment is not up to me. We never poached for team members, from as far as I can remember. 

P.S.: But I have faith that anyone who has ever talked to me, at least once, in the chatroom will never want to leave   B)

• King of Thieves likes this

The life of a Sam is only a succession of awkward moments. Like this one right here, I have no idea how to finish this statement. Thus, I'm just going to stop right here. :)

IMG_0817-0-250x140.jpg

"Wrap your troubles in dreams, and dream your troubles away." - Kermit Ruffins.

Be nice to one another, you don't know who is behind the screen.If you take anything I say online seriously ... you should see someone.You are here to have fun, right ? So start having fun ...

---

#5 LittleOne

LittleOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

Well the poaching team really isn't too bright to attempt to steal another team's disloyal member.  If they jumped from a team to yours---they will jump again if the grass looks greener.

I know that on us3 the top teams frowned on this practice collectively in the beginning.  Which made for a great playing environment.  God forbid we should have a good playing environment. :O

I watched one of the best players on the server for a long time --- TheGreatPumpkin.  He isn't with us any more.  But he played the game smart and well.  I watched as he grew his team without having to use any under handed tactics.  So I guess I am just a spawn of TGP.  A smart player who new how to develop a loyal team.  Underhandedness never helps you develop team loyalty. 

Just my opinions on the matter.  But it is always interesting how people will do anything to advance when no one can see their faces.  It's the life lessons of the internet.  I'm sure Fuma will chew on that sentence for a while!! :ph34r: B)

Actually what I liked about that kind of environment was that an opposing team would tell me  "hey---so and so is trying to jump to our team".  This wouldn't be a poaching matter, it would just be a jumping thing.  But still, it showed us who was loyal and who wasn't.  We would get rid of him.  The team who notified us wouldn't take him either.  And it taught the person a good lesson in team loyalty. 

You people just haven't learned yet Priscilla's way of being number 1.  Inter-team relations.............

Poaching just ensures you enemies.  I like making friends of other teams.  It helps you win.

• Windwalker1971 likes this

#6 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

Oh please. Get over yourself. My conscious is clear. It's not like I'm the one who feigns friendship while fishing for ways to make a stronger toon from someone I hate. Geez! Talk about underhanded. Whine much? Still can't get over bullying one of my friends and getting it back in kind? Grow up. It's a game. At least I didn't have to run to a brand new server to get to the top. Chew on that, whiner. My conscious is clear. I even gave you the info you fished for because I have no problems letting bygones be bygones rather than holding on to a chip on my shoulder, like you apparently like to do. Your issues with me started with your own actions. So just get over it. Or don't. It's no skin off my nose.

I'm bringing sexy back!

#7 LittleOne

LittleOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:50 PM

Fuma---once again you are doing a swan dive off the delusional diving board.  You didn't even cross my mind when I posted any of this.  Well except when I put in that sentence about internet life lessons.  I thought you would get a kick out of that.

Half the stuff you said in that post doesn't even make any sense.  Lighten up old man.  You don't see me trying to belittle any of your achievements.  It's not how I roll.

I was speaking of what a nice playing environment we had on us3 when the top teams worked on trying to not poach.  We still strategized against each other.  But we were able to message between teams when we saw something underhanded going on.  Poaching, jumpers, and what not got nipped in the bud.  It was fun while it lasted.  Until greediness took over some teams.  Was just giving some insight into how good it can be when you are playing a friendly game.

God forbid that we should be friendly with people.  Friendliness ----such insanity.   :O

Watch how kind I can be.......I forgive you for jumping to the wrong conclusions and showing your nasty side.

See how easy it is!

#8 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

That's making the insinuation we don't on US2. And we both know the truth here. You complain about me plenty. I'm not the one carrying a chip. If I was, then I would have never helped you with information on how to get stronger in the first place. Nor would I have offered to make a team merger all those ages ago with Sugar Rush back when you guys still played on US2. Of course, when I asked for any tips in kind to my giving you several, you happily dodged the request. I've always been light hearted. It's why I play the musical drama game with your teammate. And for the record, we do have a friendly game on US2. My team is having a blast. And we both know I didn't jump to any conclusions. I already had inside information. ;) I did have one really good tip I was going to share with you, but I saved it in waiting to see what tips you'd fork over after I gave mine. We both know why I never told it to you.

" I'm sure Fuma will chew on that sentence for a while!!" says plenty about your underlying feelings towards me. The inside info isn't even needed with that jab out there. ;)

Edited by King of Thieves, 09 May 2015 - 05:26 PM.

I'm bringing sexy back!

#9 LittleOne

LittleOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

Truly, I have no idea what you are talking about Fuma.  I think your issue is on a personal level and has nothing to do with the poaching topic.  I can message you and we can discuss it there if you would like.

#10 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

I don't have any issues with you other than the chip you carry around. Again, if I did, I'd have never given you the info I had nor would I have offered to merge our teams ages ago. You can say one thing to me and to everyone else in the forums, but what you say when you think no one is listening that you don't want to hear, is a different story. Really, you shouldn't make jabs at folks and think they won't jab back. It's much the same as when you harassed a friend of mine in-game then got all offended and victimized when it was done back to you. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. 

I'm bringing sexy back!

#11 AngelicaSynn

AngelicaSynn

"Femme Fatale"-in training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Team:Heroes Anonymous
  • World:US4
  • Character:QuTiPy

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

Sounds like this issue is getting a little heated... if you two want to continue in this manner, I suggest that it be taken to PMs...

As to the issues of poaching and jumping, my personal opinion is that 'poaching' is proper strategy... trying to get a strong player to join your team is just good sense... it's up to the player asked to determine if the benefits to him (or her) self are worth the possibility of alienating current team-mates, and should not be made lightly.

'Jumping' is not necessarily bad strategy, but again, the benefits must outweigh any possible repercussions to be worth the trouble.

That's my personal opinion, not a strategy recommendation...

• SuperSamSam and King of Thieves like this

My new character....
 IROLnBu.png

#12 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

You know me. Any time people want to dance, I'll gladly get out there and dance. But don't worry. To PMs it is! :P

I'm bringing sexy back!

#13 BruceARee

BruceARee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Team:Chaos RuleZ
  • Character:BruceARee

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

I hate to say it but I find this question of poaching rather absurd and take some offense to it being "walking in the gutter".

Let's face it most players in this game are on a team already and those who are not are either retired or just starting out, so the main pool to choose from is those already on a team.

I see nothing wrong with sending a simple invite to a teams player, the answers will be either yes, no or no response at all. This is recruiting not poaching. 

I would like to ask, what is your approach to recruiting? I see many people switching team players for short periods of time or starting a new team that recruits and then sends them to a main team after a while...some folks call it an academy and we all know how that works. Its kinda like walking in the same gutter.

As for the second question, do you poach to gain team members? Really?

I ask again, what is your approach?

• PostmodernPugilist likes this

#14 lucy

lucy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCroatia
  • Team:Chaos
  • World:US1
  • Character:lucyliu

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:54 PM

Hm, I'd still rather call it a recruit rather than poaching, it just sounds too harsh, it's a game ppl. I'm currently an advisor on my team and usually people send us requests, but if I want to send an invite to another team member, why not? The person has a right to refuse after all if they don't wish to switch teams.

Also, I don't like belittling folks who leave their team for another, whether it's a stronger or a weaker team. Sometimes yes, it's for personal gain and goal of getting stronger, but sometimes they are perhaps bored in their own team or don't feel like they fit in even though the team has plenty of chat action. Or maybe they disapprove of some strategies and want something different. So, just because someone leaves a particular team doesn't necessarily mean they'll do it again and again. Ostracizing them via messages between teams sounds a lot like bullying to me. I'm always for giving that person a chance at least.

I left two teams for different reasons before finding my way into the one I'm currently in. Still have pretty good relations with some of my former teammates. Have some respect for each other and don't hold grudges. Just, you know, let it go ;) .

• King of Thieves likes this

#15 AngelicaSynn

AngelicaSynn

"Femme Fatale"-in training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Team:Heroes Anonymous
  • World:US4
  • Character:QuTiPy

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:28 AM

Personally, I am far from the strongest player on my team...

I average about 3 contacts trying to recruit me per week.  That's just in US2, where my main account is...

It's even worse on the 5 other servers where I maintain accounts, mostly for sending and receiving in-game mail, which I must as a moderator   .

I can't imagine circumstances that would induce me to leave my current team position, but there may be some combination of factors of which I am not currently aware... 

Let it go...

FTBdX8q.png

My new character....
 IROLnBu.png

#16 LittleOne

LittleOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:13 AM

I can think of an example of a person who left our team to go to a higher ranked team.  She told me of some of her reasons.  Then she sent a team email, saying goodbye to the team and explaining that she was leaving.  She left on great terms with the team.  Kept good relations even though she was leaving to be on a higher rank team.  It is possible to do.

Higher ranking teams get requests all the time.  But mostly, we would look for players without teams.  Sometimes we would find high level players without teams.  We kept our ear to the server per se about team shake ups and made sure we were prepared for when they happened.  They always happen.  AND we watched for the progress of up and coming players.  Take them in early, train them in the game.  Sometimes you will gain a loyal player. 

Of course no one wants to hear someone talk negatively about a thing they are doing.  So I can see where if you are poaching, and I speak negatively about it---how it may offend you.  I truly am not trying to be offensive on purpose. 

I am saying, that I was on a top ranked team that never used this practice and still held the number 1 spot.  So it is not a necessary practice.  I am also saying that our server was a much nicer place to play when the top teams were all keeping the poaching to a minimum.  Only because, I have noticed that when people get poached the team that lost a member that way aren't exactly wanting to send the poaching team a box of chocolates to congratulate them on their new recruit. :P

That is why it is a great topic for discussion.  So we can hear other perspectives on it. 

#17 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

Your server is the newest server in the game. Wait till it's been around awhile. You'll see the atmosphere change. And your comments insinuate only your server is a friendly one. I have no clue how you don't see how you offend people. Even if you smile when you punch someone in the face, that doesn't change that you purposefully punch them in the face. 

I'm bringing sexy back!

#18 LittleOne

LittleOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

I can only comment on the servers I am on.  Me personally, I like a friendly playing environment.  It's good to hear different perspectives on the topic though.  To each their own.  

But I think it's good to know too that you can be successful by playing a pretty straight game too.  Lots of different options.  Just have to decide what's best for you and your team.

#19 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

That's an insinuation that others aren't playing "straight" because they have a different opinion over "poaching", as you like to call it. Just using such a word paints a negative image, since poaching is commonly used to refer to the practice of killing animals illegally.

I'm bringing sexy back!

#20 LittleOne

LittleOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

If I remember correctly, I think it was Fuma Hanzo that gave me the lesson about what was the difference between "Farming" and "Poaching".  I don't think I had ever used the term in the game before he explained it to me.

But either way, whether you think positively about poaching or negatively about it, that's what the thread is for.  Every opinion is welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users