• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AprilNucleus

AprilNucleus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

So, another team wants to attack my team (which I made for personal purposes that have nothing to do with attacking other teams or being 'first' or 'best' or whatever it is people seem to want these days).  Every time I go to my team interface, there's a dialog there that only offers 'accept' instead of 'accept' and 'decline.'  I don't intend to be in this fight, and I don't like the idea of being forced into one.

The impression I get is that the loser in a team challenge loses assets, which makes the entire process ethically dubious, in my view.  (I realize that for some--particularly teens--the concept of ethics is a little too intellectual and high-minded, but hey, that's who I am and it's not open to debate.)

Can I accept the team challenge, and then decline it afterward?  If I don't accept, will it not happen at the appointed time, after which I will regain access to my team interface?  Will other teams be able to mount a denial-of-service attack on my team interface by constantly issuing challenges which I will never accept?  (For the record, I've played lots of multi-player online games for the last 15 years, and I don't do PvP.  I realize in this game I have to be an unwilling participant because people can challenge me to individual duels without my permission, but I won't initiate.)

As a software designer, programmer, and architect with decades of experience, it strikes me that this particular aspect of the game is flawed.  Just sayin'.

--a.n.

p.s. If your answer is "well, if you don't like it, write your own game," dude--I can totally do that.

#2 dcasso

dcasso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Team:Paragon
  • World:US1
  • Character:Dcasso

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

You don't loose anything (except team honor, won in team fights) when being in a team fight, and the fight is held no matter whether you accept or decline. The difference is in the amount of strength that your team fights with, it is higher when you accept the fight.

#3 mogiks

mogiks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

As dcasso said, the team fight will occur no matter what you do, but the only thing you'll lose is team honor. Since team honor can only be obtained through PVP, I would have thought you would not care about losing that. If you have a trophy and the enemy team has an empty trophy slot, you will lose the trophy also, but I am guessing you don't have any trophies. If you really don't wish to participate, you can leave the team prior to the fight and rejoin afterwards. Even if you clicked 'accept' beforehand, if you're not in the team, you won't be in the battle. Still, the fight will occur without you; your team will be weaker without you, or if there is nobody left in the team who has reported for the fight, the other team will automatically win.

In the area of "ethics", it seems like a strange thing to think about in a game like Hero Zero where the PVP is set up in this manner. One can assume that the vast majority of players have consented to being attacked due to PVP being such a fundamental part of the game, and losing a duel or team fight is not a serious ethical matter in any case as team honor and personal honor (the only things your opponent will lose) have very little value unless one deeply cares about honor rankings. The people who care about honor rankings are naturally the ones who will participate in PVP most fervently and therefore they must also consent to being attacked otherwise it would be hypocritical.

A point you apparently haven't considered - if there were a way to refuse to the challenge of a team fight, it would be possible for teams to acquire team honor or trophies and then refuse to engage in any fights they are not certain they will win. It would therefore be a feature very much open to abuse, making it far easier for teams or individuals to create monopolies and hampering the progression of other teams or creating an eternal status quo (not to say it isn't currently possible for some teams to make monopolies, but it requires a lot of strategy at present). Unlike you, the vast majority of players do participate in PVP and adding this feature for a small minority would thus destroy one of the major parts of the game for many players. There would have to be strict restrictions on which teams can refuse fights in order to prevent that from happening, and even then there would probably be ways the feature could be abused.

• Geejay and Stalemate like this

#4 AprilNucleus

AprilNucleus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

I have a hard time with the idea that attacking other good guys is consonant in any way with the concept of "honor."  By that definition assaulting police officers would be laudable, not illegal.

In general I don't like PVP because...well, I have my reasons, and there's no need to get into deep debates here.  If nothing but ersatz 'honor' is at risk (and intangible trophies) then I'm fine with the system, although I will obviously continue to be annoyed by these pop-up dialogs (and stronger teams and players attacking weaker teams and players to jolly up their numbers).

--a.n.

p.s. No, I'm not a pacificist.  There's just nothing in a game worth fighting for, or about.

p.p.s. No one from the "Devils" team better come asking for batteries, because they won't be getting any.

#5 Stalemate

Stalemate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Team:Dark Wing
  • Character:Mortalgaiden

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

if you really have issue then just ignore it it only means like 1 min of your life to deal with less if you skip watching the fights and lets face it you don't care about the honor so it shouldn't matter either way.

This game ain't grand theft auto so yeah attacking police/other public officials really doesn't apply. Its not an option or matter its more of fighting to gain personal experience into how you should fight or what will make you stronger.

If you are really bothered by this why would you play a game that over half of the content is fighting someone/something.

The team that's attacking you will eventually stop if you get stronger than them or boost your teams strength, plus you might lose enough honor that they don't care anymore and attack others.

I will just say get past it man they can only attack you once every 2 days so it wont matter and why join a team if you don't want to help them win fights. if you are that ethically challenged by this process/game then just talk to your teammates through some third party.

Sorry if I come off ingenue or mean but its not a problem you cant solve yourself with a little thinking or just some time to make it obsolete.

As to making your own game go for it, you might make money or maybe Hero-zero could pick you up for designing or something.

Just calm down and enjoy the game man, this part of it is very unlikely to change for the same reasons Ellax explained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users