King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationThe Space Galleon S.S. Nemesis
  • Team:Villains Inc.
  • World:US2
  • Character:I may be a villain, but at least I'm honest.

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:44 AM

Steve Hodges was a friend to many of us who came here from another game together. In HZ, he played Disturbed on the team Rising Renewed and in the team Spawns in our old game. He played games with a community that had known each other and played together for 6 years.

Sometimes we were enemies. Sometimes we were friends. But outside the game, as a friend was the only way you could know him. He was a jolly guy with a beautiful family. Always, he was in good spirits and many of us shared a good number of laughs with him. I may be wrong, but I can't recall any times he had an unkind word to say to anyone. Maybe it's just my bias towards the man. 

He loved his family and he loved his friends. He loved cooking and rock and roll and muscle cars. He loved his game and he loved you. He had a big heart. One that was always fighting for that which he did love. 

It was surprising and unexpected therefore, when Steve fell into a coma. Somehow, he got a brain clot and his brain simply shut down. Today, his wife made the tough decision to take him off life support. It broke a lot of our hearts, so I know it broke her's as well. Tomorrow, they pull the plug.

RIP Steve. You'll be missed deeply and by many. May you continue to fight the good fight in Valhalla while driving an American muscle car and blasting heavy metal through the speakers. See you on the other side, Bro.

1897974_696216237084420_750677631_n.jpg?                     11304322_10206889819746293_797430021_n.j

11297845_10206889830546563_1067683288_n.

• Jagan, AngelicaSynn, unnie and 2 others like this

I'm bringing sexy back!

#2 VillyDRabbit

VillyDRabbit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Team:The toxic Avengers
  • World:US1
  • Character:Villius

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

Although, I never got a chance to meet Steve the way you described him, He seemed like a saint. It is never easy to say goodbye to loved ones, whether its over the internet, just for a little bit or forever. My heart goes to all of his family and friends.

• King of Thieves likes this

Us1
Villius lvl 26 started june 17th, 2015

#3 LittleOne

LittleOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • World:US3
  • Character:Priscilla

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:20 PM

Sad to see a friend go.  But it is cool that he lived his life in a way that you could call him friend.   He is in a better place now.

• King of Thieves and VillyDRabbit like this

#4 AngelicaSynn

AngelicaSynn

"Femme Fatale"-in training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Team:Heroes Anonymous
  • World:US4
  • Character:QuTiPy

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:02 PM

8brswNS.png

My new character....
 IROLnBu.png

#5 King of Thieves

King of Thieves

Bested the bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationThe Space Galleon S.S. Nemesis
  • Character:I may be a villain, but at least I'm honest.

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

Another hero passed yesterday. You knew him as Private Avenger, but he was known by many other names too. His real name was Russel Smith.

I got to know Russ back when I 1st started playing online games. Back then, before I took the route of the villain, I played the Archangel TzaphKiEl in "another game". Russ played the character Lucifer, being one of the first to openly admit hero games needed villains and to make the sacrifice to be the villain in such games. He knew many would have misconstrued ideas about him for it, and mistreat him for it, but he took it in stride and played the part with honor. Those who knew him knew the man was nothing like the namesake he took on in order to be a terror in our game.

With my being the Archangel and he being the Devil, we discussed and planned what was meant to be an epic rivalry, until I went the way of the villain myself and turned TzaphKiEl into the toon now known as Fuma Hanzo.

He was my first frienemy, my first gamer friend outside of my team. Of all my gamer friends I still have, I knew him the longest. Over the many years I've played games with the large community I have gotten to know, we've lost many, many, many of our number. And while each death took its toll, none affected me as much as this one.

Russ was a long time member of Turbulence. I know he will be missed by them as much as he is by me, maybe even more. He was always a great friend, a great team mate, a great opponent.

He taught me what it was to truly sacrifice in a game, to be a villain others would misunderstand and hate, so that they would have someone to glorify themselves against. He taught me what it was to be the hero inside the villain.

I miss you already Russ. We still had a few more arguments we were supposed to have and never finished. I guess you now know the answers to our last one. I love you bro. You were one of the few who helped make me the player I am. Of all the deaths we've seen over the years in our community, this one affects me the most. RIP, bro. You're already missed.

11655575_1142210299129534_1835848138_n.j

Russ w/ his best friend in the game.

• Jagan likes this

I'm bringing sexy back!

#6 Kamae

Kamae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Character:Rick843

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

R.I.P. braddah Russ, you will be missed by many.... Aloha Russ...

#7 AngelicaSynn

AngelicaSynn

"Femme Fatale"-in training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Team:Heroes Anonymous
  • World:US4
  • Character:QuTiPy

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:18 PM

Russ was a Turbulence team-mate and a true friend... words cannot say how much he will be missed.

My new character....
 IROLnBu.png

#8 Ahmedabrar

Ahmedabrar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Team:Nuns In Gstrings
  • Character:KingThakur

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:14 AM

he will be missed

#9 unnie

unnie

Team member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationThe Polar Circle
  • Character:unnie (retired)

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

My condolences..

Team Supervisor - Hero Zero U.S.

Having trouble with your Flash player - or plagued by the Sweating sickness?

Contact Game Support here!

#10 Ahmedabrar

Ahmedabrar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Team:Nuns In Gstrings
  • Character:KingThakur

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Losing a great friend is not very easy

#11 PostmodernPugilist

PostmodernPugilist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • World:US1

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

Russ Smith died whilst I was on holiday and unable to get to a connection where I could post my tribute. 

Russ was my best friend, my muse and my writing partner all in one. It occurred to me when I wrote this that he'd've been way better at writing a eulogy than me. Ain't life a bitch? 

We met through a different game and wrote a lot of "role play" or "fan fic" together there. So much of "my" best writing was inspired by one of his ideas. Pretty much all of our best writing was inspired by him. He had all the good ideas and a ton of eloquence. I got credit he deserved and he was gentlemanly enough only to bitch about it a little.

He was kind and generous to a fault. He hated to receive charity but he never held back when he could help someone. He loved his family and his girlfriend.

He wrote two main characters, Lucifer and a hero, PA, based on his own RL hero, his big brother, who sadly predeceased him. If you knew Russ' writing, and knew PA's character then you knew the man Russ aspired to be. I miss PA.

I first noticed his writing when he wrote Lucifer's solo adventures "Divine Comedy". Somehow he made the biggest evil bastard of all time a sympathetic character. Some of the episodes made me cry. That's how good a writer he was.

Writing with him was incredible fun. We laughed so much. We complemented each other so perfectly. We almost never fell out. We, quite literally, finished each others sentences.

One of the best memories I have is the day I met Russ. Me n mine had come to the US on a short trip to SC with my husbands work. Russ fixed things so he had a load to drive down and a load to drive back and came 1000 miles just to spend 2 days in our company. I cant tell you how much that blew me away.

I been walking around like a big chunk of me got taken away. Two weeks later I am still crying daily for his loss. I will never know someone like him again. I wish I'd written more with him. Wish I'd made time to write that book we'd talked about. Wish I'd just chatted to him more. We used to talk daily, lately work and family meant it had gone down to half that. Less if I'm honest, we'd gone from hours at a time to a paltry 30 minutes here and there. He deserved better. I just always thought he'd still be there.

I want to be grown up and positive and say "let's learn from this and never take someone even slightly for granted." But really all I want to do is curl up in a ball and cry.

We had a "no dying ever" deal. Dammit Russ you welched on our deal.

• Jagan, AngelicaSynn and King of Thieves like this

Pinken Stein: The Postmodern Pugilist, Ex-Moderator

Proud leader of Turbulence (till I can find some other mug to take the job off my hands)

Ask Aunty Pink: Hero Zero's PREMIER Agony Advice Column. http://forum.us.hero...pink/#entry3602

In Memoriam: Russ Smith, Gone but never forgotten 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users